Novation UltraNova Synthesizer
The UltraNova is a ‘Nova’ series analogue-modelling synthesizer with a powerful effects processor. It is a single-part synth, taking the Supernova II synth engine as a starting point and updating it. It now includes wavetable synthesis, more power... read more
Found 0 artists
It promises a bit more than it offers
While the specs an features of this synth seem pretty tempting the actual usability is a bit limited. There is a vst-plugin editor which refuses to work every second time I want to use it. It offers an audio interface and routes the synth directly to into that but it has no connection to the vst-plugin editor. So if you have (you probably do) another sound interface than you have to chose which one will you use. I use it as a stand alone synth and not even bother about the sound interface options. It can work as an automap midi controller... I tried it once and never used it again. All these extra features are almost good, but only almost. It could be a fantastic piece of gear but it is more like an average virtual analog synth. But I like it anyway. :)
A treasure chest of sounds waiting to be unlocked.
I've been using this in a lot of studio projects since I got it and just recently started using it for live gigs. It's a wonderful synth. If you're wanting to ambient, dubstep, glitch, or some jazz. Then the Novation Ultranova can do it. I love it because of how easy it is to use and it's never ending sound bank and modulation capabilities. You can make evolving soundscapes with it and even create some nasty glitch sound effects using nothing, but the many distortions and arpeggio.
Great Sound, but DAW connectivity lacking and a bit cumbersome.
The sound is great on the UltraNova. Many times when I can't find a plugin sound for the job, the UltraNova manages to fill the space I needed. The main and only problem I have, is getting audio and midi working correctly in Ableton. It does work, but its always a hassle. Something changes and I have to reset it up all again, or it breaks the connection inside the daw for some reason. Right now I'm having USB powering issues, so I have to use an adapter to get the keyboard working. Other then that I like it for its capabilities.
This thing sits on my desk as my secondary controller.. i say secondary because i call my Motif my main, but since the motif is under my desk and this one sits on top, this is my go-to controller when browsing sounds from my DAW. I love the internal synth and really dig the fact that it's bus powered. Therefore this is my buddy when i need to make music on the road.
The UltraNova is a ‘Nova’ series analogue-modelling synthesizer with a powerful effects processor. It is a single-part synth, taking the Supernova II synth engine as a starting point and updating it. It now includes wavetable synthesis, more powerful filters, a software editor and a new touch-sense performance mode.
- Nova-series synth engine based on Supernova II:
- Single part with up to 18 voices, 14 filter types, 36 wavetables, 5 effect slots
- Patch Browse enables you to browse 300 sounds by type and genre
- Touch-sense controls enable totally new sound-shaping and performance:
- Trigger envelopes/LFOs/filters/FX by just touching the encoders
- Large rotary control instantly allows you fine control of any parameter
- Totally gig-able with 37 full sized keys, a vocoder, and loads of controls:
- Voice-optimized 12-band vocoder with gooseneck mic
- High-quality key bed with aftertouch for expressive playing styles
- Software plug-in editor and Patch Librarian for full visual editing:
- Plug-in editor allows you to view and edit in with software
- Software Patch Librarian a organize, store and share unlimited patches
- Built-in 2 in 4 out USB audio interface and it can be bus powered:
- UltraNova can be used to stream audio to and from a host computer
- Stereo main (analog and SPDIF) and aux outputs, and MIDI in/out/thru ports