KRK KNS 6400 Studio Headphones
Accurate reproduction of your music or mix.
Whether you are listening to some tracks, or tracking your next recording, the KNS 6400 gives you the famous KRK sound independent of your monitors. This closed-back around-the-ear design brings you clo... read more
Artists use this
The $100 bang-for-your-buck studio headphones
SUMMARY (for the TL;DR people out there):
1) Needs a week or so of burn in time. 2) Cable can get a little annoying because of its length. 3) Has all the basic useful features for sound monitoring and detail checking. 4) Durable plastic and very thick cable, but the ear cushion and padding can easily get ripped. 5) Unforgiving of the audio source. If the music is recorded, mixed, and mastered in a shitty way, these will definitely pick that up.
I'll get right to the bottom of things. The KRK KNS 6400 may just be THE dark horse headphone out there for the hipsters who do not want to buy Sennheisers, Audio Technicas, or AKGs for studio use.
They're a great bang for your buck and at $100 you won't be disappointed at all with what it offers:
1) The cable is only one side of your ear and it can be detached as well as locked in. Pretty nifty for going around your studio table and not having to worry about it getting tangled or disconnected.
2) Swiveling ear cups are a huge plus, especially for me. You can listen on one ear only and even rotate the right ear so another person can just stick their head to it and listen to the headphones too.
3) It does not take much to drive these bad boys and it can be connected to just about any audio jack without the need for headphone amps or DACs.
4) VERY REVEALING and will not show mercy to the audio source, nor the the sound quality. This, imo, is very useful especially for picking out details that need to be fixed. If you made shit recordings or mixed the song in a shitty way, YOU WILL HEAR ALL OF IT. If your phone or laptop has a shitty soundcard or if the audio file is of shitty quality, it will show.
However they do have some downsides:
1) The cable is annoyingly long. You can buy a coiled one but its sold separately.
2) You need a fair amount of burn in time before you use it professionally. A week to open it up and get rid of its muddiness and fatiguing highs. About 10 days for me, personally, before I liked what I was hearing.
3) No hard case, although it comes with a nice leather pouch.
4) For all the bassheads out there, this is not the headphone for you. The 6400s are for more of the clarity and detail nitpicking type of people.
5) Isolation is just OK. I can still hear conversations around me when the volume is up at 45-50%. Any screaming or loud noises (e.g. car horns, ambulance sirens, etc.) can still be heard at around 60-75% volume. Outside sound is significantly decreased at 80%, although I would not recommend listening at these levels as continued listening with that volume could cause deafness.
Over all they're a solid set of headphones, and judging by there graphs, they are a relatively flat sounding pair that gives you the power to nitpick your work.
That is all. Thanks for reading! =D
Accurate reproduction of your music or mix.
Whether you are listening to some tracks, or tracking your next recording, the KNS 6400 gives you the famous KRK sound independent of your monitors. This closed-back around-the-ear design brings you closer to your music, and the highly isolated surround pads give you the freedom to immerse yourself in the sound without having your monitor mix "escape" into open microphones - and keeps live instruments out of what you are monitoring. Having "One Voice" that consistently gives you accurate reproduction of your music or mix will help you achieve just what the artist intended - especially if the artist is you.
KRK headphones provide a precise listening experience that takes you from personal studio to commercial studio to on-the-go track evaluations - and they allow you to accurately enjoy your music with the consistent voicing philosophy and honest reproduction top producers, studio musicians, performers and engineers have come to trust.
The KNS 6400 offer an incredibly natural frequency response that gives you a reference standard unaffected by your location. Day or night. Studio or home. Without disturbing others. Without compromising your tracks.
- Voiced to remain true to the character of KRK's class leading studio monitors, developed with 25 years of years of experience in studio sound.
- The latest reference quality frequency response for closed-back, circum-aural dynamic headphones.
- Newly developed headphone acoustical system bringing a new level of headphone performance for the first time.
- Utilizing the latest in acoustic memory foam technology ensures class leading performance in both reproduction and isolation.
- A new standard in headphone comfort, even over extended periods of use, designed to avoid feeling uncomfortable during long sessions. The special foam conforms to the ear to help ensure an improved fit.
- Exceedingly accurate, natural and wide frequency response.
- Large dynamic range with extremely consistent low-distortion detail and clarity.
- Extended low frequency definition, ensures the bass component of your music is accurately reproduced, and is not lost.
- Transparent reproduction of high-frequencies, resulting in highly accurate imaging.
- High-efficiency Neodymium 40mm driver.
- High durability 2.5m single-sided straight cable with oxygen-free copper wires.
- Adjustable, foldable driver enclosures provide comfort and portability.
- Replaceable cable, head, and ear cushions to ensure long product life.
- Soft carrying case embossed with the KRK logo for travelling engineers, or storage when not in use.